Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dex---updated

Well, Dex visted the Vet today--he is 5.6 lbs (I was WAYYYY off), and Brian (the vet) thinks he's more like 4 MONTHS OLD, not 7 or 7 and a half. He's just losing his inscisors, which is indicative of approximately a 4 month old puppy.

His heart/lungs are good...no fleas (Thank goodness).......he was given his vaccinations (since there was no papers on the dog to prove he'd already had them) and he was de-wormed (even though the people said they'd wormed him).....just to be safe. Brian said it would not HURT him to repeat stuff, so better safe than sorry.

He can't get neutered until he's 6 months old MINIMUM, so based on his guessed age, we'll be waiting a couple of months. He's crashed on the chair.......poor baby is TIRED...it's tough being a dog!!

He doesn't want to eat.......but the practical advice we ALWAYS get from our down home Vets is good........he'll eat when he's hungry--don't coax him, or try to feed him soft food.....he'll soon learn that dinner time is just that and he'll need to eat. Brian felt like there was little chance of him suffering ill effects learning a feeding schedule. 3x a day for the first couple of months, then back off to two times a day----dachshunds are a breed that can get tubby, so he thinks setting a schedule now will benefit us later.......

He's so freaking ADORABLE, that I can hardly STAND IT. He's snuggly and warm, and right now VERY QUIET and sweet. I know, I know....he'll grow out of that really quickly.......he'll be just as loopy and barky as the other two as time goes on!! Buster doesn't want to get his photo taken with the baby----so I'm having trouble guaging his SIZE for you;....he's itty bitty!!!

I'll work on that......





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adorable puppy - our friends have one named Ginger but since she is teenie weenie we all just call her Weenie. : )

Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

He's adorable! I just want to come over there and give him tons of smooches. And drink the wine.

Perfectly Shelly said...

Tawny--he's pretty cuddly right now......

Dingo--come on over.....I have a back up box of wine in the fridge in case the bottle runs dry.

Ben said...

Wine AND pupppies?

I'm on my way.

Perfectly Shelly said...

Ben--Dingo's coming too...I guess I better get another bottle!!

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say "have you told Ben about this little guy? He has a dog blog!"

But he knows.

So yeah. I'm too late.

Anyway, he's just the cutest thing and I can just smell his widdle puppeh breaf and his widdle puppeh feetsies.

Too cute.

Perfectly Shelly said...

Kristen--I KNOW....puppy breaf....compared to 6 year old butt licking breath, it's like roses!!

His cute little tongue is all pink and rosy---his belly is all soft and fat.......

Sniff Sniff---just think in NO time he'll be off to college!!

Christa said...

i know the wine bottle was for measurement, but it still cracked me up.

what a cutie!

Anonymous said...

He's awesome! Did your vet mention that maybe he should lay off the wine? And just maybe he shouldn't spend to many hours talking on his cell phone either!