Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wouldn't you like to be a foodie too?

Oh food. How I love you. Today we are having my pulled pork sandwiches. Yum. Seriously...yum. While shopping for ingredients, we went to Hy-Vee..where there's a'helpful smile in every aisle'. Son #1 works there--so we go there alot, despite the fact it is probably the most expensive store in town. I'd take no smiles and cheap food, so Hy-Vee, make a note.

Actually, as a side note, we went to Schnucks first....it's a midwest chain of stores....and they can be pricey too, but not always....they haven't jumped on the 'soda should be as expensive as beer' train yet, so they are good in my book, since Mr. Perfectly and I consume copious amounts of soda (no, not pop--SODA). Schnucks supposedly had pork tenderloin on sale, but they were out. We found some pork loin (as the butcher kindly told me apparently it is far different than the TENDER loin).....it was 10 bucks for this airtight package of pork. I'm not a pork lover (except in my pulled pork sandwiches)..so I'm not a pro pork buyer...so after weighing the thought of finding pork any cheaper at Hy-vee--not likely, we bought the pork from Schnucks. Based on the butcher's high recommendation for what applications I wanted to use on the slab of meat.

Anyway, back to Hy-Vee---we bought toilet paper---Soft-n-Gentle...our plumbing doesn't tolerate real toilet paper well---Charmin just is too elite to break down well in water---and only a couple of places in town sell Soft-n-Gentle. Hy Vee is one of them.....and we could take a peek at Son #1 in action. He's so cute in his blue apron, working in the frozen foods section. So, while perusing the selections at the 'Friendliest store in town", wouldn't you know. Pork loin, WHOLE OR HALF for $1.99 a lb. We paid 3.58 a lb. for ours. So, what does one do? Buy a whole freaking pork loin for 'someday' or hope that Hy-Vee comes through again in a few months when we want pulled pork again? Decisions....we left the pork where it was, and wandered over to the bakery area. And between the bakery area and the meat, there were SAMPLES...I adore samples in the grocery store. This was of Chicken Scallopini.....which I will be making TOMORROW for dinner...it was awesome. And she had WINE samples.....WINE AT 10:30 IN THE MORNING at Hy-Vee---Maybe I WILL take some smiles after all!

Seriously, Hy-Vee is AWESOME for their wine tasting. We were at Hy-Vee at the Lake of the Ozarks by chance one day in November, and the ENTIRE STORE had wine and booze tasting around the ENTIRE perimeter of the store! I left tipsy!! Really tipsy.....not that it takes much to get me tipsy, but still....I bet I had 2 and a half glasses of wine in total there....plus a few liquor samples. Man oh Man.....that is my kind of day at the grocery store. Luckily, Perfectly's dad was driving. He patiently waited for me to go throughout the WHOLE store and drink! How awesome is Daddy!!

We tried some of the sweet wine this morning and bought 2 bottles....$8.98 a bottle. I embarassed myself because the food sample lady pointed to the bottles next to her display and said "this is all I have left". She'd ordered 5 cases or something and this was all until the order came in.....I HURRIEDLY grabbed the two bottles she had--because, you know, I didn't want to be left out of the wine stampede she'd had and all. And Mr. Perfectly pointed out the case that was sitting BELOW her display. Yeah...who looked like drunk THEN? At 10:30 in the morning. After proudly exclaiming how my son worked there too.

We came home and unloaded our huge grocery purchases and that is the end of the story. Exciting re-living my life, isn't it? Ohhh.....you want the pulled pork recipe?? Sure, here goes:

One pork roast--2-4 lbs--use your favorite. We've used pork chops, too
1 med onion, roughly chopped
1 green pepper roughly chopped
1/2 can chicken broth
3/4 bottle of WORLD HARBORS Jerk Sauce

Put all ingredients into a crock pot or slow cooker. Cook all day til pork falls apart. Shred the pork, add a little of the sauce (for flavor, not to make it saucy). Serve on toasted rolls, with cole slaw. ON. THE. SANDWICH. I promise, you'll love it.

No comments: