Sunday, January 25, 2009

"I am Barack Obama, and I approved this message."

That, folks, is my new text message alert message. Isn't that TOTALLY cool? Mr. Perfectly found a free ringtone site, and many of them were really cheesy and stupid, but this one was just too cool!! He loaded it on my phone and so anybody that wants to texts me has that greeting announce their text!!!

This was a weekend of cooking. Yesterday, I embarked on an asian feast. I made shrimp dumplings (hopefully as potstickers, but THAT didn't work) with the most awesome chili butter sauce I've ever had. Ever. Ever. And Perfectly's Asian Lettuce wraps. Recipe on file somewhere on this blog--since I am horrible about tagging my posts, good luck---but it IS here somewhere.

The asian dumplings are a food tv recipe, so I'll post the link, and not the recipe. I recommend you try them. I've tried them with the original SCALLOP recipe, but Mr. P doesn't like Scallops, so this time I used shrimp, and made the recipe exactly the same. The shrimp won hands down. I like scallops, but the shrimp ones are awesome. Except, I cannot for the life of me get the delicate dough not to stick or get to gooey while steaming. So, I end up with a mush of mess in my pan---but man--they still taste awesome. And let me tell you, the chili butter sauce? OMG......it's GOT to be good on other stuff. It's the best sauce EVAH!! EEVVAAAHHHH! Oh, I highly recommend the slaw for a side dish. It is great too.

GO forth and COOK people. COOK THESE DISHES.

And today, I cooked a pot of STEWP (sorry for the Rachel Ray haterz, but hey, the term really is a good one). It's too thin for a stew, and too thick for a soup.

It's a beef/vegetable variety. I used fresh (farm fresh---my dad's beef) cubed steaks, dredged with flour and seasonings. Fried in oil with some happily found frozen grilled (charred) onion for use in soup. We did it in nicer weather thinking we'd use it up later. I'd forgotten we had it and when digging for suitable stew meat, I FOUND it!! So we have grilled onion, beef, seasonings all mushed together and added wine, a can of diced roasted tomatoes, a can of beef broth, 3 cups of chicken stock, some frozen green beans, baby carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. Oh, yea, I used a little white wine to deglaze the pan (leftover from the AWESOME sauce of last night).

And, people, we have stew/soup which equals STEWP!!

I'm off for now. I hope tomorrow lends itself to my funny!!

toodles!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not what you would call a cook or a chef. I am more of a meal putter-together. I learned from my mom who raised five kids on whatever was in the fridge/freezer/cabinet. I did learn creativity if not how to be the next Martha Stewart or Julia Child. It's okay. My hubby and I don't starve, but we don't always eat nutritiously. I've been trying new things lately, and may have to give your stuff a try. I love Asian food, but am not great at making anything other than stir-fry (it's what I call what I make at least!!).

Perfectly Shelly said...

Daisee!!!!

The asian dumplings are a little time intensive (stuffing the won ton wrappers), and they are fragile.

BUT with that said, the filling is just a few ingredients buzzed together in a food processer (by the way, I hate cilantro, so I used parsley---), and steam/fry time. And you use store bought won ton wrappers, so there is NO dough making, etc.......

I don't have any advice on how to get these to not break apart. But if you can master the idea overall, even all schmooshed up, they are AWESOME. The chili butter sauce is the best thing EVER.

Try it. I do enjoy cooking and feel I am a moderat level cook (not gourmet by any means) and other than the won tons falling apart, this really couldn't be easier.

gotta run...I'lll email you later

Anonymous said...

Today in my crock pot is a pot roast. My first one ever.

Wish me luck.

Those dumpling thingies sound wonderful!!! I'd say that I will try the recipe but that would be a lie. I'm too lazy to fuss with it. You can always mail me some.

Perfectly Shelly said...

Kristen....I hope there are onions, carrot, potatos and other various stuff in with your pot roast........Root vegtables are they key, I am certain.

Hey--a hint? Take the leftover pot roast and veggies (providing there are veggies) and make a soup with it day after tomorrow.

REINVENT your leftovers. Serve crusty bread and you'll fool Mister into thinking you've become a homestyle cook!!

Anonymous said...

I still love you.

You need to post links to restaurants where I can buy these dishes. They look yum but get serious....

And what the hell is a crock pot? Okay, I just googled it. I'm still not sure what it is but at least now I know it is not some kind of inside joke. Unless it is.

Perfectly Shelly said...

Come for a visit, and I'll COOK them for you.

I live in a tiny, outdated, poorly decorated (um, not decorated) old, dog smelling house, but you are welcome on the hide-a bed any ole' day.

Crock Pot? Seriously?

I thought EVERYONE knew what a crock pot was. No inside joke...just slow cooked food.

I still love you too.

Anonymous said...

Stoogie never tells me he loves me anymore. I think the magic has run out.

Sigh.

My pot roast was incredible!!! No root vegetables at all. I just dumped a can of fat free cream of mushroom soup on top and one envelope of onion soup mix and put it on high for an hour and then low for 7 hours. It was totally awesome. Even people who don't really eat red meat loved it.

How does stoogie not know what a crock pot is? WTF?

Perfectly Shelly said...

Kristen--I may try your recipe. My boys love regular pot roast with the veggies, BUT they'd like the meat/gravy combo of just a roast.

I'd HAVE to throw in some onion, tho....HAVE to.