Monday, January 21, 2008

Eggrolls

Tonight we are having homemade eggrolls. I must say, I'm GOOD. I came up with this receipe several years ago when looking for eggroll recipes and finding far too many ingredients to cook on a budget. I found a recipe on the internet, with few ingredients and thought, ewww...I bet it will be bland and yukky. I don't know about YOU, but I tend to think that many recipes found on the internet can be bland. What...does a major portion of the population not have taste buds? I don't know, maybe folks are afraid of lots of spices, but with the exception of a few, I must doctor the ones that sound good.

Anyway, we must make the eggroll mixture early in the day to allow it to cool and have most of the juices drain away....I don't know if you've had experience w/ wet eggroll wrappers, but it isn't pretty. So I put the mixture together last Saturday before Teenie and I went out house hunting (for her). Mr. Perfectly put it in the fridge to cool and drain.......then we discovered, quite by accident, really, that he was running a temperature and was sick.....so since he's the 'fry daddy', we thought it best to wait. I froze the mixture and today, it's what's for dinner. I also made crab rangoon. MMMM,,can't wait.

Here's the recipe for those of you that are interested:

1 lb lean ground pork
1 pre cut pkg of cole slaw in a bag (hey, it's already got cabbage and carrots)
1 large handful bean sprouts
1 bunch (or more to taste) of green onions
3 (or to taste) cloves of garlic.
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 lb salad shrimp or small shrimp--uncooked, no tails
1 pkg eggroll wrappers

Brown the pork, while browning, add the green onions and garlic. When browned, there shouldn't be lots of grease, but if there is, drain it. Add soy sauce (you may find you want to add more-don't worry, it gets drained off, so use as much for flavor as you want) and all the veggies. Cook the veggies til crisp tender, add shrimp and cook til just cooked through.

If you have enough time to allow the mixture to come to room temperature while sitting in the juice (to absorb flavor), go for it. If not, just skip on to the next step.

Place the mixture into a colander which is sitting in a large bowl. Put into the fridge most of the day until cooled and drained. You may want to come to the fridge a couple of times and press down on the mixture to help it drain.

When cold and drained, wrap the filling in individual egg roll wrappers, and deep fry. Serve w/ rice, sweet red sauce, hot mustard and soy sauce (for dipping...each individual will want to choose their dips....don't mix them up).

The wrapping can take 30 min or so, but really, overall, this is quite simple, and the filling really takes no time to cook.


Crab Rangoon:
1 pkg cream cheese (softened)
1T garlic powder
1 4 oz can (drained) crab meat
won ton wrappers

gently mix all ingredients, and put small tablespoons of filling in the middle, fold into triangles, and deep fry.

And my 'cheap' version of a Cosmopolitan:
1 oz gin
1 oz triple sec
4 oz White Cranberry-Strawberry juice
4 oz Diet 7up
serve over ice

Please note that these are my own concoctions......not everybody will like them, and not everyone will like my recipes. I posted them there because my family and I love them, (except the Cosmo--my kids haven't tried it...)

Enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the eggrolls, but not being a fan of cream cheese I pass on the Crab Rangoon, although the kids love them.